COMMUNITY FOR PROGRESSIVE RADIO (CPR)
CONSTITUENCY INVOLVEMENT AND REPRESENTATION AT THE LOCAL &
NATIONAL BOARD LEVELS
- I. Who are the the Pacifica/WBAI "Constituencies"?
- A. Those in society that are oppressed, exploited, underrepresented and marginalized
C. Staff (Unpaid and Paid)
- II."Constituent Representation" at the Lcl. and Nat'l. Levels
A.Credible Governance Structures and Representation Must Reflect the Will
of the Constituencies
B. Proposed Listener Constituent Categories:
- 1. Oppressed Communities
- 2. Rank-and-file Labor
- 3. Youth
- 4. Women
- 5. Artist/Arts Community
- 6. Disabled
- 7. Jailed/Imprisoned
- 8. Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Trans Gender
- 9. Staff
- 10. Signal Area Listeners
- C. Size of Local Board & Representatives Per Category: TBD by broader, more
inclusive body of Constituents
* NOTE: A Local Board that is larger than the current number 24 in necessary; reflecting the numerous responsibilities
of the board as well as the voluntary nature of the board's involvement in:
listener participation, _fun&aising,
governance, the Folio, the Program Council, etc. (Prelim. Size Recommendation: 36)
- III Participation Processes: Minimum of 6 month (July-Dec.) Mobilization emphasizing 'Constituent inclusion" and
A. Critical Role of a Coordinated Pre-election Outreach
1. LAB & Listener Roles:
2. Station-Staff (and National) Role(s):
a) Programming: Fduc./Iffo/Promo
b) Fulltime Organizer/Liaison
3. Role of Comunity-based Organizations, Activists and "leadership"
a) Credibility/Support/Meaningful Access
B. Nominations-Candidacy: TBD by broader, more inclusive body (Prelim.
1. Two to Three week period, completed by end of Nov.
2. Each nominee would have to at least articulate his/her support of
mission statement as well as her/his specific vision of 'BAI/Pacifica)
C. Election Process: TBD by broader, more inclusive body (Prelim. Recommendation:
1 .Three to five-week period, completed by end of Dec. or niid Jan.)
2. Oppressed Comm. Reps, et al (categories 1-8) elected by specific
constituents only; at least 18 reps.
3. Area Listener Reps (category 10) elected by all listeners; at least 9 reps.
4. Staff Reps (category 9) elected by specific constituents only; up to 9
5. All candidates on same ballot;
6. Voting at station during entire general period; and at numerous
community locations on specified days/weeks and at specified times.
7. Oversight by a mutually determined coalition team or
IV. Role of Local Board
A. TBD by broader, more inclusive body (Prelim. Recommendations:
1. Vote for PNB Members (at least one from Oppressed.Comm. et al (categories 1-9); Area Listener Reps, and Staff
Reps. PNB Reps would be non voting at local level; and recallable
2. Listener participation, event planning, fundraising, governance (i.e.,
monitoring/oversight, not day-to-day management), the Folio, the Program