WBAI Pacifica bylaws revision sub-committee straw polls-updated
Date: Fri Aug 23, 2002 11:47 am
Subject: WBAI by-laws committee straw polls--corrected
Here is an updated list of our straw polls. It includes one from 7/23 and one from 8/20 that were not included in the previous list.
Sorry for dual postings.
Who will vote in station board elections?
Option 1. Only listener subscribers at the current rate and listener volunteers should be voters.
Option 2. Listeners who make any financial contribution (even at a nominal rate), or who do any volunteer work for WBAI including something from their home or in their community) should be voters. In addition, listeners in some categories (on welfare or workfare, prisoners, etc.) would be exempt from either financial contributions or volunteering but would have to register in some way.
Option 3. All listeners can vote-- they only need to indicate their interest by registering to vote and providing some information about themselves
Option 4. In addition to listeners, listener subscribers, volunteers, and those in exempt categories, anyone can vote if they are members in or work with other progressive organizations.
Option #5 will be the constituency model/community model ("Mimi Rosenberg option").
Option 1a is the same as Option 1, but it includes listener-prisoners.
Straw polls on role of the local board, led by Donna Gould:
1A. Should local board be responsible for hiring and firing station
1B. Should local board have responsibility of oversight of GM?
2. Should local board be responsible for hiring, firing, and oversight
of Program Director?
3. Should local board have power to amend, adopt, repeal foundation by-laws?
0 vote that the local board should be solely responsible
4a. Should the local board have the power to develop the station budget?
1 votes for local board to be solely responsible
4 vote local board should be solely responsible.
4c: Should the local board have the power to monitor/oversee station budget?
Led by Donna Gould
1. There should be no appointed seats on the PNB
2. How should PNB members be chosen?
12 By listener-members and local boards in combination
Led by Larry Romsted
1. Should there be a national listener bylaws convention in four years (or so)?
2. Should Listener-members have the power to propose
a) Formal Motions?
b) National by-laws?
c) Articles of Incorporation?
3. Should PNB decisions be transparent? (except for personnel and litigation issues)
Yes: all but 2 (say about 25-30)
4. Should listener-members have to power to ratify changes in
Led by Steve Brown:
1. Each local station board shall 'own' the last 5 minutes of each
2. The National Board shall have the option of using 15 minutes of
each day at each station.
2. Salaries and job-duties of everyone in the Pacifica Foundation
shall be publicly posted.
Led by Roger Manning:
This proposal has been widely distributed, so I will only briefly cover it. This proposed bylaw formalizes town hall meetings. The intention is to insure, in writing, regular Pacifica listener/staff participation in the preservartion and health of the foundation as well as to promore conenctivity between Pacifica management, staff, station boards and listeners.
29 (twenty-nine) in favor, 2 (two) opposed, 4 abstentions.
Led by Steve Brown:
PNB will have to have its budget approved by the five stations.
* * * * * * * * * *
Straw polls on national control of local programming, led by Janice
1. The PNB is responsible for insuring that programming at each station is in accord with the mission. Yes: 32; No: 0; Abstain: 2.
2. PNB can mandate, after consultation with local areas, that stations
devote a specified amount of time to programming about governance.
2A. PNB can mandate that stations devote a specified amount of time to
programming about governance (no need for consultation with local
3. PNB can mandate, after consultation with local areas, that stations devote a specified amount of time to programming that remedies lapses in Pacifica's mission. Yes, 18; No, 3; Abstain, 4.
* * * * * * * * * *
Powers of local board in the two proposals:
Should the powers of the local board be as laid out in: